Sea-Doo Part Catalogs
BRP Part Catalogs

American Watercraft Association

International Jet Sports Boating Association

Personal Watercraft Industry Association

Friday, October 24, 2014  

Author:   Topic: I want to ride to Catalina
 Mako posted: 6/25/2010 2:39:07 PM   

No, that's the honest truth. I ride out to those airforce towers in the Gulf of Mexico to fish. I only go on days when it is slick calm, but I have done it plenty of times and hope to run out there the week after next, assuming the oil has not made it this far east.

Buddah posted: 6/25/2010 1:59:37 PM   

ancient chinese secret! just tell them not to get lost in your wake.lol. have a great time, and if you guys need anything we are here for you.

haleyscomet posted: 6/25/2010 1:52:11 PM   

Hey Rob, runin strong, I was getting 75+ in the salt water but never did find any smooth water to run on. Will be running fresh water this weekend and prepping for our 800 mile jaunt in August. Thanks to you and the gang for hooking us up and taking care of us. Everyone wants to know what I've got in that thing.. ;)

Buddah posted: 6/25/2010 1:37:35 PM   

YEAH!!!! Craig buddy, how are they runnin? hope you guys had a blast. good to hear you made that ride.

haleyscomet posted: 6/25/2010 1:29:42 PM   

We just finished a ride from Miami to Bimini, Bahamas on two PPG inspired skis. People do it all the time. Use your head, watch the weather, over plan and know what you are doing.

Surf Jumper posted: 6/25/2010 1:05:00 PM   

I hear you, but it only takes one time. Even the best maintained toys can still break down, through no fault of your own. We read those types of horror stories all the time on this board.

Buddah posted: 6/25/2010 12:51:11 PM   

mako isn't crazy, just has a super reliable unit and maintains the heck out of it. if you love your toyz, theey will love you back.

Surf Jumper posted: 6/25/2010 2:32:45 AM   

Mako..... I would have to say you are a little bit crazy. That's a big risk you are taking by doing it solo. My guess is that you are just joking because I can't imagine that anyone who is a member on this board would take foolish chances like that. Pretty funny.

KS posted: 6/24/2010 11:33:47 AM   

You ran out of beer???? How could you let that happen?

That's it, I'm never riding with you.

Mako posted: 6/24/2010 9:30:05 AM   

That sounds like fun...Maybe I am crazy, but I ride my GTX 26 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico to fish at C Tower several times a summer. I go by myself and have never had any problems. I did run out of beer one time though....

Surf Jumper posted: 6/24/2010 1:54:20 AM   

Hi Keith,

There is a group of PWC enthusiasts here in So Cal that ride almost every weekend. We also do frequent trips to Catalina (among many other locations). The main goal is having fun, but there are also quite a few guys(gals) that race, including the Catalina race. Check out the website and join the club. No cost to join. You just need to be a memebr of AWA. We are doing a ride out of Marina del Ray this Saturday going up to Malibu. Join us.

www.socalwatercraftclub.com

Surf Jumper

hhiibel1 posted: 6/23/2010 11:25:01 PM   

found it.

http://www.pwcoffshore.com/

just sign up and tag along.

hhiibel1 posted: 6/23/2010 11:23:17 PM   

last i heard there's a yearly race. it's insane. full race skis going full tilt, skipping across the big rollers. it has a required fuel stop at the catalina dock. rec riders can enter also. maybe it's been discontinued.

Dr.Volts posted: 6/23/2010 9:13:47 PM   

Who's done this before? In the late 1940s or early 1950's Roy Rodgers did it using a 10 hp Mercury outboard on a boat not much bigger than a Sea-Doo. No GPS, maybe a compass, and a canvas PFD. Happy Trails to you!

Oh, and while we are on the subject of music, the Four Preps say it is 26 miles across the sea to Catalina.

:-)

KS posted: 6/23/2010 2:03:46 PM   

Me and two of my buddies want to ride from San Pedro to Catalina some time this coming August. We've all got 3 seat 4 strokes. 2 GTX/155's and a Yamaha FX HO. We've got waterproof marine radios, GPS on two of the skis, a damn good sense of direction and I'd like to think, a lot of common sense.

My inlaws have a boat moored in Avalon harbor, so we were thinking of going over early on a Saturday, spend the day in Avalon, sleep on the boat and come back early Sunday morning.

Who's done this before and how stupid of an idea is this for just 3 of us?

Looking for opinions, ideas and helpful tips.

Thanks,

Keith

wcshannon posted: 6/23/2010 2:02:03 PM   

I wouldn't say it's stupid at all. People do it all the time. Don't think for a minute though that a "good sense of direction" will help you when you are in possible fog and can't see ahead of you! That's where having a damn good sense of GPS reading comes in! lol I have a friend in Cali that has done this before. I will call him for you and ask him to chime in on this thread. He's done quite a few times and even tied up to a boat mooring in Avalon.

TJR posted: 6/23/2010 2:00:10 PM   

A dealership out there used to do a group ride every year back in the mid to late 90's. Then a few years later Lou Peralta (I think it was) promoted an endurance race that grew lots of competitors. Not a crazy idea ... I think its only 25 miles give or take. You'd definitely want to file a float plan with someone letting them know your time of departure, route and return. Of course, always bring a cell phone. A marine radio is also a very good recommendation.

Tom

KS posted: 6/23/2010 1:50:58 PM   

Me and two of my buddies want to ride from San Pedro to Catalina some time this coming August. We've all got 3 seat 4 strokes. 2 GTX/155's and a Yamaha FX HO. We've got waterproof marine radios, GPS on two of the skis, a damn good sense of direction and I'd like to think, a lot of common sense.

My inlaws have a boat moored in Avalon harbor, so we were thinking of going over early on a Saturday, spend the day in Avalon, sleep on the boat and come back early Sunday morning.

Who's done this before and how stupid of an idea is this for just 3 of us?

Looking for opinions, ideas and helpful tips.

Thanks,

Keith

Reply to Thread
Topic: I want to ride to Catalina
Subject:
User Name:  You have not logged in. You will need to type your user information here.
Password: 
Enter message below (press return after each line)

want to advertise on the largest seadoo enthusiast site on the web?.. click here

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 SEA-DOO.net All Rights Reserved

Sea-doo.net is not affiliated with BRP Inc. This is a user supported information and support site for the Sea-Doo Watercraft & Sport Boats products.

SEA-DOO®, SKI-DOO®, ROTAX®, CELEBRITY® are registered
trademarks of Bombardier Inc. and/or its affiliates. GTX is a
trademark of Castrol Limited, used under license.
© 1998 Bombardier Inc. *Trademarks and ® Registered 
Trademarks of Bombardier in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office 
and in other countries. All rights reserved.
All posts and emails to Sea-Doo.net become the property of Sea-Doo.net.
Sea-Doo.net is not responsible for inaccurate opinions and advise posted to Sea-Doo.net.